On this page, you will find a template version of a corrective discipline letter to be given to an employee. This should be the second step in your progressive discipline of an employee.
- Need More Information on How to deal with troublesome employees, click here to read more.
- Have you already given your employee a verbal warning? If not, click here to download a template to use to document the process.
Templates Help the Process
Templates serve as a decision tree for the development of any legal document you use in your process. Without a template, you would be starting from scratch and simply relying on education and experience to ensure your legal document was crafted for your specific circumstances. That means, you would need to sift through all possible circumstances. The templates I provide for you serve to narrow the focus.
Simple use of a template can be dangerous if the bigger picture is not considered carefully, so make sure you consider everything.
Before you simply paste your information into the relevant blanks of the template, carefully consider everything in the document. Each sentence should have a reason for being in the agreement or, a reason for being left out. In many cases, the specific location of the clause is important.
All of that aside, you do need a quick way to take a template and get your information into the relevant places. Then, you can begin the process of editing properly. I have attempted to make it easy to place your information in the relevant blanks.
Download the Appropriate Document
There are variations on these templates I have created for you. I am working to create templates that cover some common issues. Choose the document that fits you current situation the best to get started. I have also included a general memo that can be customized to fit any need you may have.
Download the Proper File
For your convenience, I have included an Editable File for use with a word processor of your choice and a PDF File (this is for formatting, but would be difficult to edit). Choose the correct one and download the file. The PDF is provided in case your word processor makes the formatting look strange, that way you will know what it should look like.
- 2014-07-01 – general corrective discipline letter – resource center.docx
- 2014-07-01 – general corrective discipline letter – resource center.pdf
Applying Your Information to the Template
Once you have selected the relevant template and downloaded the correct format, open it up and let’s get started. The following Quick Start Guide will get you up and running in no time!
To get started, all you need to do is use the Find/Replace function of your word processor. Below, you will find the relevant information. For each term you need to replace, simply type the relevant term in the “Find” window and the custom term for your company or site in the “Replace” window and hit “Replace All”. Once you have done that for all of the terms listed in your template, it should be ready for a thorough review and then you can start using it to protect your business!
- INSERTNAMEOFEMPLOYEE = The employee exhibiting the issues
- AGENT = The supervisor or person who spoke with the employee
- POSITION = The title of the supervisor or person who spoke with the employee
- INSERTDATEHERE = This should be the date you write the memo to the fileThere is a reference in the second paragraph to where you can find additional information for other policies on your site. Make sure that links to your other policies, or remove the reference altogether.
- INSERTISSUEDISCUSSED = This should be a brief description of what issue you discussed with the employee
- INSERTCOMPANYNAMEHERE = Your Company
You can add any more information about what you discussed into the memo, the key is to document that you discussed the issue.